to Keep Your Septic Tank Healthy: Tips and Tricks

to Maintain Your Septic System and Avoid Costly Repairs

Septic Regulations in Kansas

Selecting a Septic System

Septic systems are a critical component in securing a safe water source for homeowners located outside the water service area of their local municipality. Many options exist, allowing residents to tailor their system to use, soil depth, property size, and location of the water source. In Kansas, most homeowners select and use a traditional septic tank and lateral field (or dispersal field).

Licensure Requirements for Septic Contractors

Contractors may not use, test, install, modify or in any way alter septic systems in Kansas without obtaining a license. To become licensed, contractors must submit an application and proof of insurance through the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).

The Installation Process

The process for installing septic systems will be different depending on the type of system selected. In Kansas, homeowners can select either an above ground storage system or an underground storage system. Only licensed contractors may install septic systems.

Regulation of Septic Systems and Contractors in Kansas

The KDHE oversees the regulation of septic systems in Kansas based on Chapter 65, Article 34 of state law. In addition, county governments may also carry further requirements; specifically, counties may increase the required amount of unsaturated soil that must be present beneath the dispersal field. For this reason, it is important to consult both offices before beginning any installation process.

Certification is required for septic system contractors through the KDHE. Above ground and underground storage systems carry different permit requirements. For specific information, contact:

Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Randy Carlson, Section Chief
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 410
Topeka, KS 66612
Phone: (785) 296-1678

Choosing the Right System for You

Unsure which system provides the best match for your particular circumstances? The following agencies can help:

K-State Research and Extension Office: 785-532-6147

National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association: (800) 966-2942

National Small Flows Clearing House: (800) 623-8301
Scroll to Top